This is one of the most comforting bedtime drinks I know of to both soothe souls and boost health. If you like snuggling up with a warm mug of chai tea, you will like this recipe! Turmeric is known for its countless health benefits; it has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, it can relieve arthritis, it fights brain neuronal degeneration and depression, and it can decrease the risk of heart disease and cancer. And don’t leave out the pepper because it contains a compound that helps your body to absorb the turmeric!
- 2 TBSP turmeric powder
- 4-6 TBSP purified water
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamon
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 8 cups milk substitute (coconut, hemp, almond)
- Add coconut oil, spices and water to small pot over low heat. Stir until becomes like a paste
- Stir in milk to heat until reaches a gentle simmer
- Ladle carefully into mug so as not to stain everything yellow
- Add a touch of honey to sweeten if you’d like, put your feet up and enjoy 🙂
Note #1: You can play with the spices to match your taste, some people like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in there too – just keep the turmeric and pepper as your base.
Note #2: The paste can be made in larger quantities and stored in the fridge for future use. Then just add 1tsp per cup of milk and heat.
Caution: turmeric is very yellow and will stain so be careful with what you let it touch!