I love this toothpaste recipe – I love the way it makes my teeth and mouth feel! After using it for a while I haven’t been able to go back to store-bought toothpaste, or to spend the money on it for that matter! My son has only ever used this toothpaste and he doesn’t have any problem with it and so far his teeth are looking great! It’s also nice that I don’t have to be concerned about him swallowing it since all of the ingredients are safe. You can order bentonite clay and trace minerals from amazon and they will last a long time since you don’t need much for each batch. Each ingredient in this recipe is known to have great benefits for oral health so try not to omit any, but you can play with the amounts to suit your taste if you want. I hope you enjoy it!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup bentonite clay
- 1/2 tbsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2-1 tsp trace minerals (I use Plant Sourced Minerals by Natural Vitality)
- 10 drops peppermint, cinnamon, clove, tea tree or citrus essential oil
- 1 tsp fine xylitol (or pure stevia extract to taste)
- Mix water and bentonite clay using wooden spoon (don’t use any metal)
- Blend in coconut oil and add the rest of the ingredients
- Combine until it becomes a creamy consistency
- Store in a glass jar with a tight lid or in a silicone squeeze tube.
- Note: if you feel the need to adjust the flavour, wait a day or two until the ingredients have all settled together
Don’t want to make your own? My friend Dr. Jones makes a similar toothpaste that you can check out and buy here.
- Remember that oral hygiene is hugely about what you eat and how you eat it. Chewing on candies all day long or sucking on juices and pop will hurt anyone’s teeth no matter how often they brush. It is also important to remember to floss and clean your toothbrush every once in a while.
- I don’t know how bentonite clay might interact with silver amalgams, so consult your dentist about this if you have some and you’re going to try this toothpaste.
Recipe adapted from www.weedemandreap.com/diy-toothpaste-recipe/