So you don’t like taking vitamins for general health?
Well you don’t have to! All the vitamins and minerals our bodies need can be found in the foods all around us, the only secret is that we have to eat them!! In fact, when they come from a food source they are even better absorbed than any other way (as long as our digestive tracks are working properly)!
If I were to try to make a list of all the best nutrient dense foods it would be endless because REAL food is REALLY good for us! So I have tried to condense it to the foods that contain some of the most essential nutrients we need and are often low on.
First, here are some simple ways to ensure we are getting what we need:
- Eat foods of a variety of CoLoUr. Meals should be vibrant – different colours provide different nutrients!
- Eat Dark Green Leafy Vegetables wherever we can. These are loaded veggies and it is hard to get enough of them on a daily basis!
- Eat nuts, seeds, legumes and a variety of whole grains. These are rich sources of nutrients and fiber and essential for our health.
- Use spices and herbs in cooking such as turmeric, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, sage, rosemary, and oregano to name a few. These are high in antioxidants among multiple other health benefits.
- Let the SUN find your skin – free of sunscreen – for around 15 minutes a day to get a daily Vitamin D dose. The amount of time varies depending on skin tone, the time of day and time of year among other things, but just don’t turn pink and that should be enough! A little bit of sunshine can go a long way for our health – especially here in Canada!
- Juicing a variety of raw vegetables and fruits is an excellent way to get a high dose of nutrients into our bodies.
- Finally, don’t forget about water! Our bodies need water more than anything else!
Below I have listed some Bonus Foods to help us get the most bang for our buck with the foods we eat. Just remember that too much of a good thing is not necessarily better, so like everything, enjoy in moderation!
Avocado: Omegas, potassium, Vitamins B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, phytonutrients, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, copper, Vitamin K
Bee Pollen: B vitamins, all 9 essential amino acids, lipids, polyphenols, flavonoids, leukotrienes, catechins, phenolic acids, carotenoid pigments, phytosterols, enzymes, coenzymes, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, inositol, rutin, potassium, calcium, magnesium, selenium, zinc, manganese, iron, copper
Blackstrap Molasses: Magnesium, potassium, manganese, iron, calcium, copper, selenium, choline, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B1
Dulse, Kelp and other Sea Vegetables (from unpolluted areas): Iodine, Vitamin B6, iron, potassium, sodium, protein, calcium, magnesium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C
Gelatin (grass-fed beef) or Bone broth: excellent source of collagen
Goji Berries: Vitamin A, selenium, copper, iron, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, calcium, protein, antioxidants
Hemp Seeds: Protein, EFAs including omega 3, Vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron, zinc
Nutritional Yeast: Protein, B vitamins (we’re talking 1 TBSP has 240% your daily value of Vitamin B6), zinc, magnesium, iron, copper, manganese
Red Cabbage: glucosinolates, polyphenols, glutamine, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, manganese, potassium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B9, copper
Sardines: Protein, Vitamin B12, selenium, phosphorus, omega 3, Vitamin D, calcium, Vitamin B3, iodine, copper, choline, Vitamin B2
Sprouts: these have a high nutrient composition that varies depending on the sprout
Watercress, Kale: Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, calcium, B vitamins, iron, copper, manganese, potassium, magnesium, omega 3
. . . . . . . . . .
Essential Fatty Acid sources: Salmon, sardines, walnuts, flax seed, chia seed, kale, brussel sprouts, mustard seeds, cauliflower
Probiotic sources: fermented foods, yogurt, kefir, kombucha, miso, sauerkraut, tempeh
Prebiotic sources: Jerusalem artichokes, chicory root, apple cider vinegar (mother), onions, garlic, cabbage, leeks, jicama root, dandelion root, apples, oats, psyllium, legumes
♥ Eat well to shine from the inside out. ♥